24.11.10

A Taste of Home






It isn't easy to move to another country, and I'll admit I have some low days when I feel outraged, frustrated, and homesick.  Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and I am missing my family a lot.  For an expat potluck tomorrow I am preparing my dad's caramelized onion, chestnut, and dried apricot stuffing along with the obligatory, yet delicious, green bean casserole. To my surprise, I found all of the ingredients (if a bit modified).  Even panko to make the fried onions for the casserole! No French's here.  (I love the thrill of searching for ingredients I want and having to adapt, improvise, or make things from scratch I normally wouldn't). 
Anyway, I know tomorrow will give me a nourishing dose of "home"  that I need to sustain me.  When you're far from family, like we usually are, your friends become kin, and a special bond ensues.  So I am thankful for my wonderful new "family" in Chile along with all the people we love and have shared such memorable times with!









Thanks Sara at A Dose of Pretty for the inspiration to show my place-setting pic!


Last weekend we took a trip up the coast to a quaint little town of Zapallar.   The place was amazing!  Speaking of home, it felt like a mix between northern California and Europe, with a Latin twist, of course!

We went with good friends and spent the day exploring dramatic rock formations and playing on an immaculate beach surrounded by stunning villas.  There are a couple of beautiful restaurants that serve fresh (like from the bay while you eat, fresh) seafood.  A thoroughly enjoyable day and another charming Chilean locale.

 





































Pebble Beach?


































Peach at the beach




Restaurant







Ladybug















And finally, a grateful and heartfelt  Happy Thanksgiving wish to all of our deployed soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines who are away from home.  Thank you!
On that note,  here is an  essay  I recently read which reminded me of the waiting families
at home.



 






2 comments:

  1. How well I understand your holiday paradox of being surrounded by the exotic but yearning to be nearer the known. My memories are filled with Thanksgivings and Christmases in amazing, faraway places with one-time families. Remember these, they make the most brilliant stories when you are again sitting in front of that turkey or tree with those of us that can't be with you now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful as always! You are so great at this. Heading over to read the essay!

    And wonderful pictures of the beach. We can't wait to visit you.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete