10.1.12

Quintay

 We had heard about Quintay, but for some reason never made there until now.  I am so glad we hadn't, because it reminds me that there are still great undiscovered places nearby.  It's a little "caleta" (cove or fisherman's wharf) about 45 kilometers south of Valparaiso.   The coast line is jagged with steep hills and rocky terrain, therefore, a road following the coast from Valpo is infeasible.  We made our way inland towards Casablanca then cut west and descended through pine tree lined switchbacks.  So glad I drove and hence avoided carsickness (which oddly is becoming a recent affliction lately).  The cove has a gruesome history as the former site of a whaling processing plant that was in use right up until 1967.  There's a small museum, and thankfully, the whales are starting to return.
 


Big Sur-ish



 Restaurant El Mirador.  Get there around 12:30 to beat the lunch rush, and get a table outside.  The food was decent.  I've had fresher, more flavorful fish in and around Viña, though.  I think they were swamped.








 Dive boat



Umm, not sure about the boogie boarding possibilities, kids.  Kind of a stretch there!

Probably the busiest weekend the tiny beach sees all year.  A beautiful, sunny Saturday in the height of summer.  There are a couple more beaches near Quintay with bigger, less dense stretches.  I'd like to explore Playa Grande or Tunquén and make a beach day out it.








We will definitely come back and dive. There were a few outfits.  COLD, COLD, yet clean, clear water!






1 comment: