13.2.12

Perros Vagos (Obligatory Chile-Dog Post)





From the moment we arrived in Chile I couldn't believe how many street dogs there were.  It is kind of staggering.  You probably can't go fifty yards without spotting one.  The first few weeks were gut-wrenching, I was filled with pity, and I would fall in love with each one.  The amazing thing is they are mostly friendly.  People feed them. It's rare to see a starving dog. I often see people or shops setting out food and water bowls.  I usually approach them with kind words, and if they don't respond with tail wagging, I leave them alone.  Many even have collars and are sort of mascots of a particular corner or street.  It's so damn perplexing because it's sweet that people feed them, but it is perpetuating the acceptability of the whole situation.  I don't know, some Chileans think it is part of the culture, and it's easy to overlook and dismiss that as an American.  However, there is some irresponsible behavior going on.  Poisonings (a rudimentary method for population control) and abandonment occur frequently.  People buy or breed puppies and then, when they are no longer cute, they leave them on the streets, figuring they will survive, even thrive.  We've named the regulars in our neighborhood, and while it certainly is a national problem, they do brighten up my day.
-At least when they're not sick or injured.
If you can stomach it, here is a great documentary and organization called "Lost Dogs".





(Actually, somebody owns this black and white dog.  We see him all the time hanging out in his dog house with bowls of dog food and spaghetti!)









Cats, too.












This guy lives near us and we call him and his companion "The BFFs" because they are never apart.



 Cooling off on a hot day.
















I don't know how I am going to leave Chile without adopting a dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment